Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tarragona. Roman amphitheater


©All pictures taken by me

From the overlook at the end of the Rambla Nova, a short and enticing walk downhill, across one road and up the coast, takes you to the Parque del Milagro (Catalan Parc del Miracle), in which is the Roman amphitheater (Spanish Anfiteatro romano, Catalan Amfiteatre romà), which was excavated in 1952.

The amphitheatre was the most recent of Tarraco's "entertainment" venues and was built extramuros or outside the walls, on the shore. The amphitheater, which dates from the time of Augustus, had seating for 12,000 spectators. There is a small monument along the walk from the entrance to the enclosure down to the high arch that leads onto the arenas, which reads "Many innocent lives were taken in this amphitheatre.



Most probably it was constructed in the first or second century of our era. Inside this amphitheater you can see the remains of the church constructed in memory of 'Sant Fructuos'. This Saint was killed in the arena, which in the 7th century became a sacred Christian temple.




With my mom and my sister


To be continued...

  • Next post:
©All pictures taken by me

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bliiinnn!!! I can't believe that you left this beautiful place for cold & frost Canada

zhenochek

Inga Encinas said...

haha, You didn't like my pictures of snow and iced Niagara Falls????

Anonymous said...

Of course, your photos are unusual & fantastic. But don't forget: I'm from the cold country --Russia (do you know this place?:))). And I see these pictures 3 months in the year at least.
zhenochek

Anonymous said...

Niiiiiccccceee! I don't know, i guess i had enough cold in my life, i would like live in the South, if you get to see such beauty every day, to have more sunny, then rainy days...it's just wonderful!
my first comment by the way ;-)
Shamanka

Inga Encinas said...

To zhenochek
I understand... better than you think, these grey days suck :(

Inga Encinas said...

TO Shamanka,
Hey, Thank you for the comment ;)
I know!!! I'm already tired, I want SUN!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I over nice post. Specially the appellation attracted me to review the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.